Friday, July 8, 2011

summer is exhausting!

My husband and I courted in the summer...  so amidst the sweaty, dirty children, the messy house, the piles of laundry (I thought kids wore less in the summer!?), and tangles of weeds in the gardens...  we manage to look over knotty heads and smile at each other fondly... 

Books I've Read:
Daisy Miller - Henry James - A classic novella of a young American woman in Europe...  I should read it again because I remember NOTHING about it...  hmmm...
Chew On This - Eric Schlosser /C. Wilson - Fast Food Nation for kids....  My children loved it, too.  It makes for interesting dinner conversation - especially the nights we eat our home-butchered rabbit!
The Long Winter - Laura Ingalls Wilder - For years I would reread the entire Little House series again and again.  I read them out loud to each of the kids as they approached a sitting still age.  This is one of the more somber ones, but the thrilling attitudes and energies that made up our country's pioneers keeps me reading every time.
Mayflower - Nathaniel Philbrick - This is a well-researched and well-written book about King Phillip's War in New Englad during the time of the Pilgrims and their children.  I grew up in MA so it was interesting to get a new spin on the Puritans and their relationships and intrigues with the Wampanoags and other tribes.
Christmas Jars - Jason F Wright - This was very hard for me to read.  It is a contrived Christmas tale of "do-good"ing meant to initiate charity and kindness in us.  It made me itch to be done.  It was oversimplified and I actually had questions when the book ended about the characters.  If fluff is what is needed, then read this in a couple of hours.

What book was hard for you to finish and why?  Did you finish it?

No comments:

Post a Comment